11.03.2008

I'm *truly* pro choice.

I'm pro choice.

That may come as a surprise to many of you who know that I am ardently pro-life. Let me explain that I'm not changing my position; I'm simply taking back a term that has been hijacked: choice.

When people say they are pro-choice, they are really only referring to one choice, i.e., whether or not to prematurely end their pregnancy through abortion. Those of us who understand that a fetus is not an organism, but a stage in the development of a human being, are the ones who are *truly* pro-choice:

I want that baby to choose his favorite food, his favorite color, his favorite toy. To choose his best friend. His favorite stuffed animal. When he gets a little older he can choose whether he wants to be a fireman or an astronaut when he grows up. And then I want him to be able to change his mind every month after that.

When he starts school I want him to be able to choose who to sit by on the bus. In high school I want him to pick his first girlfriend and whether or not he will go to the prom. Then I want him to choose what college he wants to go to, who he is going to marry, and whether or not he still wants to be an astronaut when he grows up.

So the next time someone tells you they are pro-choice, ask them if they are, really.

No comments: